Monday, September 15, 2008

Riding across America to train Joe for the Furnace Creek 508

Monday September, 15 2008 - Day 1
We start the journey of several thousand miles a bit later than we thought given the volatile market conditions today. In addition, the weather is equally volatile with winds commonly 25 mph and gusting to 50 mph coming directly out of the West. Chet, Bo, Joe and I are eager to get on the road and start pedaling west. We take several pictures at Joe’s house, load the truck and we are off.
The winds pound into the lead bicycle relentlessly making the first 20 miles seem like 50. Fortunate for Chet and I, Joe is in the lead and we are drafting closely behind. The wind changes often and at times I am less than 3 inches off Chet’s back tire and unable to find any pocket of smooth air. Drafting is new to me and I almost crash into Chet’s back tire at least 150 times. I am amazed at the amount of constant focus necessary to keep my position close enough to enjoy the draft but not ride up into Chet’s back tire causing him, me or both a quick trip to the pavement.
Bo drives the truck to our destination city Amsterdam, NY. There he will wait for us to arrive or call for help. It is his day to drive and given the winds and pace I think it would have been better if I stayed in the truck keeping him company.
Chet and Joe, start to pull away from me on the hills. Both are in better shape than I and each time they pull ahead the wind becomes my focus. I try hundreds of positions but none seem to provide much relief. Upon further investigation, getting off the bike is the only way I will get relief. This is not an option. The support truck is at the destination many miles away and this is the training I have chosen.
On a big downhill I am catching up to Joe and Chet and suddenly - Pop, hisssss. My back tire goes flat. I move to the shoulder of the road and take off my rear tire. I pull out my spare and it has the wrong valve and will not fit through my rim. I ask Chet if he can help and he gives me his spare tube. I look for my pump but have left it in the truck. Chet gives me his and we are back into the wind.
We were warned about the wind when biking East to West and some even went so far as to apply the term “fools”. After about 50 miles I am becoming less concerned with the wind and more concerned with the never ending hills. One after another and I don’t know what I was expecting but we are crossing several mountain ranges and Joe likes to pedal really hard up the hills. I figure out after 75 miles that downhill is my specialty. Joe and Chet wait for me patiently and keep reminding me that after several days of this I will be in shape.
We stop at Stewart’s convenience store in Saratoga Springs for some food and to fill our water bottles. The demands of the day have Chet drinking Chocolate milk and joe eating a bagel with cream cheese. I start a conversation with an older man in the parking lot who assures me the route we have chosen from Saratoga Springs to Amsterdam is mostly flat. I hold onto this thought like a nugget of gold. Five miles later on a long uphill I throw the nugget of gold into the oncoming traffic and spit.

We arrive in Amsterdam with the night. Bo is waiting in the Wal Mart parking lot and we are relieved to step off the pedals. We stretch and pound the tension and acid from the day out of our muscles. We drink coconut juice in celebration and head for some Chinese food. Overall it has been a good first day. No wrecks and no injuries. I have a new appreciation for time. Some of the minutes today passed so slow I think they were going backwards. Time for some rest….

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts of you on Monday were scattered to say the least. Thank you for your words that were like drops of water in the desert! I'm sure that you're pretty exhausted by the time you stop for the night, but I hope you will continue to allow those of us who are with you everyday, (even though it's only in spirit!)to get a glympse of what biking across America would be like. The four of you are in my heart and more importantly in my prayers!!Much Love, Mare xo

Anonymous said...

hurray!!!! you made it! day 1! I too am a big fan of DOWNHILL!!!! I love you and remeber_ PAIN IS TEMPORARY!!!!

HEE HEE HEE HEE :) :) :) :)
XOXOXOX
Francie

P.S. can't wait to see you in LA!

Anonymous said...

Hurray! Day 1! you ROCK!!!!! I too am a BIG FAN of DOWNHILL!!!
I Love you and remember; PAIN IS TEMPORARY!!!!!

HEE HEE HEE HEE :) :) :)
XOXOXOXOX
Francie

Can't wait to see you in LA!!!

Karen said...

God, you are a crazy man. You're biking across America. How does one even do that? I have no idea. We're so glad you're blogging--it's just like the good old days when you used to write commandments and dictate parables and so forth. We like seeing Your Word in print!

Be careful, stay hydrated, watch out for cars! And keep us posted. We'd love to go hiking with you and your sis in the Great Northwest if we can ever make that work out...

Karen

carrie said...

yozmzwho would have known that mount cod stretched that far west??? when the going gets rough, just think how easily you will glide of those 100 miles in a few weeks! GO B GO!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Chris I envy your determination, have the ultimate respect for your sense of adventure, and am completely convinced you are FLAT OUT OF YOUR MIND!! With that said have an amazing ride and don't forget a little R&R in South Florida after your quest for the holy tire tread has been attained.
Lot's of Love Marianne, James, Katie & Meg